A new modern information system has been developed for the NHS, which will make an increased use of information from medical records with the intention of improving health services. This new system will provide joined-up information about the care received from all of the different parts of the health service, including hospitals and GP practices.
Your date of birth, full postcode, NHS Number and gender rather than your name will be used to link your records in a secure system, managed by the HSCIC. Once this information has been linked a new record will be created. This new record will not contain information that identifies you. The type of information shared, and how it is shared, is controlled by law and strict confidentiality rules.
Information will help to:
- Find more effective ways of preventing, treating and managing illnesses
- Guide local decisions about changes that are needed to respond to the needs of local patients
- Support public health by anticipating risks of particular diseases and conditions, and help us to take action to prevent problems
- Improve the public’s understanding of the outcomes of care, giving them confidence in health and care services
- Guide decisions about how to manage NHS resources so that they can best support the treatment and management of illness for the benefit of patients
If you are happy for your information to be used then you DO NOT need to do anything. But if you have concerns you should talk to one of the GP’s.
If you do not want information that identifies you from being shared outside your GP practice, please inform one of the reception team. They will make a note of this in your medical record. This will prevent your information being used other than where necessary by law, such as in case of a public health emergency. You will also be able to restrict the use of information held by other places you receive care from. However, this will not affect the care you receive.
You can change your mind at any time and as many times as you wish. Should you change your mind please inform the reception team each time you do.
For more information about how data is collected and shared, including confidentiality please visit: www.NHS.uk and search for ‘Your Records’ or click on the link below: